Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, June 14, 2019

A Dolls House | EXCERPT | Krogstad Vs Nora


 Read the excerpt below and then answer the questions that follow.                       
Krogstad:    Are you aware that is a dangerous confession?
Nora:            In what way?  You shall have your money soon.
Krogstad:      Let me ask you a question: Why did you not send the paper to your father?
Nora:            It was impossible: papa was so ill.  If I had asked him for his signature, I should 
                       have had to tell him what the money was to be used for:  and when he was so ill 
                       himself, I couldn’t tell him that my husband’s life was in danger – it was  
                       impossible. 


Krogstad:   It would have been better for you if you had given up your trip abroad. 
Nora:           No, that was impossible.  That trip was to save my husband’s life.  I couldn’t give
                      that up. 
Krogstad:     But did it never occur to you that you were committing a fraud on me? 

Nora:            I couldn’t take that into account: I didn’t trouble myself about you at all. 
                      couldn’t bear you, because you put so many heartless difficulties in my way, 
                     although you knew what a dangerous condition my husband was in. 

Krogstad :   Mrs. Helmer, you evidently do not realise clearly what it is that you have been 
                      guilty of.  But I can assure you that my one false step, which lost me all my 
                     reputation, was nothing more or nothing worse than what you have done. 

Nora:            You?  Do you ask me to believe that you were brace enough to run a risk to save 
                      your wife’s life? 
 Krogstad:   Foolish or not, it is the law by which you will be judged, if I produce this paper 
                      in court. 
Nora:            I don’t believe it.  Is a daughter not to be allowed to spare her dying father 
                      anxiety and care?  Is a wife not to be allowed to save her husband’s life?  I dont 
                      know much about law: but I am certain that there must be laws permitting such 
                      things as that.  Have you no knowledge of such laws – you who are a lawyer?  
                     You must be very poor Mr Krogstad. 

Krogstad:   Maybe.  But matters of business – such business as you and I have had together –
                    do you think I don’t understand that?  Very well.  Do as you please.  But let me tell
                   you this – if I lose my position a second time, you shall lose yours with me.  (He 
                   bows and goes out through the hall)  Nora (appears buried in thought for a short 
                  time, then tosses her head)  Nonsense! Trying to frighten me like that! – I am not so 
                  silly as he thinks.  (begins to busy herself putting the children’s things in order)  And yet-? No it’s impossible! I did it for love’s sake.
 
          Questions:
a)    Briefly describe the dangerous confession Nora admits to in the onset of the excerpt.                   
b)    Explain why Nora did not send the paper to her father for signing.             
c)    Explain two themes evident in the excerpt above.                                     
d)    Contrast Krogstad’s and Nora’s views on the law                                      
e)    How is Krogstad portrayed in the excerpt                                                    
f)     The law cares nothing about motives.  (Add a question tag)                        
g)    Krogstad informs Nora that “one false step, lost him all reputation.”  Briefly explain how.                                                                                                                
h)     “……….If I lose my position a second time, you shall lose yours with me.”  From elsewhere in the play, show the truth of this statement                                
i)        What is the general tone in this excerpt?  Explain your answer.                 
j)        Explain the meaning of the following words as used in the excerpt.           
                     (i)       defiantly
                     (ii)      false step
Answers  




   (a)   Nora admits that she had forged the father’s signature. Her father had died in the 29th September but the signature on the other hand was dated 3rd October. She is the one who also wrote her father’s name on the blank space that had been left by Krogstad.   (3 marks)
(  b)  The father was bed-ridden as he was seriously ill. She was also bound to tell her father what the money was for – that her husband’s life was in danger. This would have caused a lot of worry and anxiety on the side of the father   (3 marks)
   (c)   There is the theme of love: “I did it for love’s sake.”
Selflessness- she does everything to ensure that her husband gets well even if it means that she has to break the law.
Blackmail – he knows he has the paper that Nora had signed and he is willing to testify against her that she has been involved in fraud.      (4 marks)
  (d)  Nora believes that the intention (motive/rationale) of the crime committed should be looked into during judgement; “… but I am certain that there must be laws permitting such things as that,”: as opposed to Krogstad who believes that the letter must be followed the way it is, as a crime is a crime despite the circumstances surrounding it; “… it is the law by which you will be judged”.     (2 marks)
  (e)   Krogstad is manipulative – ‘But I can assure you that one false step, which lost all my reputation, was nothing more or nothing worse than what you have done.’
Inconsiderate/insensitive/callous/inhumane – he stubbornly refuses to see the motive of Nora’s crime; that her husband was unwell and the only thing she could was to forge the bed-ridden father’s signature.
Rigid – he sticks to the laws as his basis for argument not any other consideration.     (2 marks)
   (f)   The law cares nothing about motives, doesn’t it?                                                  (1 mark)
   (g)  Krogstad had also been guilty of forgery years earlier and when he was found out to have committee fraud, he lost respect from everyone in the town. Torvald also wants to sack him as a result of his tainted past.   (2 marks)
  (h)  When Torvald comes to realize that Nora had committed forgery, he loses trust and respect for the wife. This Torvald learns courtesy of the letter that Krogstad drops in the letterbox and fails to retrieve it in time. Nora opts out of her marriage after this incident despite the pardon from Krogstad; she loses her family.  (2 marks)
   (i)    The tone is defiant especially from Nora.
   (j)    Meaning of words and phrases:
i)      defiantly – stubbornly / refusing openly to obey.
ii)    false step  - wrong move                                                                              (2 marks)

0 comments:

Post a Comment